Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Out of the blue

Have you ever been caught in position, or, had something done to you where you did not have a response? In more theoretical terms, has there ever been a disturbance that has disrupted your intuitive response? Where, no matter how much rolling you have done, something comes out of left field to leave you bewildered and shocked?

When I first started rolling, this would happen regularly. Through repetition and countless hours of rolling most of the surprise factor has been drilled out of me. That was until last Saturday when my opponent grabbed my belt and pulled. I realize this happens a lot while in bottom 1/2 guard among others - I can deal with this. Rather, I was standing above my opponent who was butt scooting to establish position. When I stepped in to initiate my pass, he grabbed my belt and extended it over his knee. Needless to mention, but suffice it to say, the belt felt like a boa around my waist. What do you do in this situation? I had to stop and think for more than a little while which allowed him to take advantage; which, as I mentioned in a previous post, obfuscates a centred and rationale response.

How does this inability to (re)act occur? What is the cognitive process (or is it a lack?) when something occurs which you have not drilled and never seen? The rational response is to rely on what you know... fair enough and that's what I tried to do (hips forward and using his momentum to my advantage), but the initial grabbing of my belt had sufficiently disrupted my focus. I'm certain that the ability to remain centred when confronted by obscurity requires fantastic patience and hours of practice.

Bryan
bjjstudy@gmail.com

No comments: