Monday, April 20, 2009

"Don't think..."


Before moving on to the subject of this post, I need to request your assistance. My study has now moved into the interview phase. My hope is to interview as many as 40 BJJ players from around the world (both women and men). I would sincerely appreciate any help toward this end you may be able to offer. If you have some time to speak with me about your BJJ experiences please contact me at bjjstudy@gmail.com. Or, pass along my email address to anyone you think may be able to help. Thank you. Bryan  


I've come to the realization that the more I am forced to think while rolling, the more awkward and ungainly I become. A little while ago I was helping with the beginner class. At the end of the class, TP put the upper belts who were teaching at the front of the class to roll with the white belts. On this occasion, like others, TP gave us a task. In this case, we were to lock in a Kimura - but without finishing it. We were to just find as many places to grab it as possible. My favourite positions include: top side mount, from guard (failed or feinted rainbow sweep) or off the pass. However, this usually is accomplished in a dynamic roll. 


I had a terrible time. I felt awkward - not nearly as smooth as is (sometimes) the case. I felt self conscious. I was able to lock it in 2 or 3 times; but they all felt sloppy. I felt lost. Frustrated, I triangled one of my opponents to kimura the trapped arm!? I had  lost something essential to the art - flow!


When we stop to focus and concentrate on the things in which we are intimately involved action is fundamentally and necessarily inhibited. When we are able to let go and 'flow with go', our experience becomes almost effortless. 


"Don't think... it can only hurt the ball club." (crash davis - Bull Durham)


Bryan

bjjstudy@gmail.com


No comments: