Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ossss...

Unlike many places, the city in which I live hosts only 3 major BJJ tournaments in a given year - one of which is run concurrent with other martial arts. Yesterday one of the events was held. There were 8 rings/mats arranged around the former aircraft hanger; unfortunately less than half were reserved for BJJ. This made for a very long day. Although I did not compete, I refereed (for 6 hours) and coached our competitors.

All this being the case, our team did exceptionally well placing first in a number of the divisions! Well done!

But it was a long day for the competitors. Many were sitting around for hours waiting for their divisions to be called. Many were not sure where or when they would be competing. I saw their anxious faces, for many this was their first competition and they were rightly nervous, when they would ask me if I knew when their division was going to be called ... I felt badly that I could not help them. Not that I fault the organizers... they did the best they could with what was available.

In my humble opinion, the following is a beginning list of what makes for a well run tournament (or if I was king for a day). Please keep in mind that I come from a wrestling background so much of my expectation follows thus:

1 . start on time - a must
2. keep competitors well informed THROUGHOUT THE DAY
3. registrations and weigh-ins done before the day of the tournament - this saves a lot of time. Competitors can then re-weigh in before they step on the mat. 
4. (this way) Brackets can be set before competitors start arriving.
5. Brackets posted 
6. Well trained and seasoned referees. While this is not always possible, consistent and knowledgeable refereeing sets the tone for the day
7. Keep everyone off the mats except competitors
8. Have a food vendor with a range of foods from healthy snacks to pizza and hotdogs.
9. Makes certain the mats are clean and stay thus throught

Please feel free to add your own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is there an email where people can get at you?

BJJ Study said...

The best way to contact me is through my gmail account: bjjstudy@gmail.com

best,
Bryan