Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Self Defence

My training partner recently sent me this wonderful video of the Migliarese brothers demonstrating self defence in honour of Grandmaster Helio Gracie:




At our school we only intermittently practice self defence. It seems that many of the students only want to work the flashy and sporty techniques while neglected the antecedents of BJJ as a sport. While many can effortlessly pull off an omoplata, they have great difficulty blocking a punch or defending a two hand choke. I'm curious, does your school practice self defence? If so, how much time is devoted to it?Do you enjoy learning about self defence? 

2 comments:

Mwana said...

Please dont ever stop this blog.

BJJ Study said...

Thank you for your support. I'm going to try to post as much as I can - especially as I get deeper into the study.

best,
Bryan